Core lab: Environments
Instructor: Yuchen Zhang
Week 1 Introduction
Week 2 Building a Server
Week 3 Introduction to IoT
Week 4 Create Wireless Toy Companion + Fabrication
Week 5 Creating an Environment
Week 6 MidTerm Group Project
Week 7 MidTerm Support
Week 8 MidTerm Presentation
Week 9 Spring Break
Week 10 Final Project Kickoff
Week 11 Final Project Prototype 1
Week 12 Guest Speaker 1 + Workshop
Week 13 Final Project Prototype 2
Week 14 Guest Speaker 2 + Workshop
Week 15 Final Presentation
Week 16 Class Reflection
– interactive spaces
– immersive environments
– body as medium
– space as laboratory
– multiple sensory experiences
– networked interfaces
– multi-screen displays
– data structures/visualization
By the end of the semester, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of spatial contexts as they affect interactive media relative to physical scale.
2. Expand their creative vocabulary in the design and creation of dynamic/interactive works, using new forms/processes/materials.
3. Develop a range of methods for the expression and articulation of ideas, including experimentation, information gathering, testing and refinement.
4. Articulate their thoughts, both in their own design process and in critical feedback to others.
5. Implement a final interactive project that integrates spatial or environmental themes in the class towards their own creative practice.
– Attendance & Class Participation 10%
– Assignments 40%
– Project 1 20%
– Project 2 30%