We went through the second part of GitHub and Git workshop in class. We have made a change to your downloaded repository Readme.md and have successfully uploaded the change to Github.
A few things to note:
- When typing in Atom [Filename] in our terminal in order to open and edit the file in Atom. Some students’ terminal did not open the file. How to correct this is to change the preference in your Atom under Atom menu > Install Shell Commands.
- When using Windows, you can download Git and open your GitBash then all the commands you will need for Git is the same as Mac. If you need a tutorial to install Git on Windows watch this lynda.com video.
- When running Git commands, some students had the following error response:
note: no developer tools were found at ‘/Applications/Xcode.app’, requesting install. Choose an option in the dialog to download the command line developer tools.
- One question from the class:
What is the difference between “git push -u origin master” vs “git push origin master”. The ” -u, –set-upstream” means set upstream for git pull/status.
Assignment for next Monday:
- Watch Lynda.com “What is Git?”
- Sign up for laser-cutting and 3D printing orientation.
- Make one blog post that includes the following:
- Post your 3 inspirational projects with one paragraph writing of “Why you have chosen this project? “
- Upload your own documentation if you have any of your Monday in-class exercise of creating an environment from 3 prompts. Write one paragraph about what you have learned from this exercise.
- Make three commits to your own repository, add the link your repository to your blog post. You should be able to see your commit histories like this example on my repository: